For the last week and a half you have been working on preparing for the big race. Hopefully by doing the investigations you have worked out how different gears can change your robot's speed and how changing the wheel types also affect the speed.
Many of you have noticed that having different styles of wheels in front than in back can change the results of your race. You have also noticed that the gear combination that makes your wheels move the fastest when you are holding the robot in the air doesn't work well when the wheels are in contact with the ground.
The reason for both of these is the effect of friction.
The wheels in the front of your robot really have only one purpose, to help support the weight and balance of the robot. The smaller the surface area of these front wheels the less friction, or rubbing force, they will have. Thus small narrow tires help make your robot go faster. In the back the wheels have a different purpose, they have to grab the floor and then 'push' against the floor to make the robot go forwards. The more contact you have with the floor, the more friction or 'grab' the tires can give you. As long as your engines have the torque, or twisting force, to overcome the friction the car will move.
This is where the gears come in. You have learned the higher the gear ratio the better the speed of your robot once it is moving. The problem is that sometimes with the high gear ratios the robot can't get started very well so it never reaches the speed you thought it would. This is because the torque of the gears cannot overpower the friction from the wheels. This is why cars and trucks, and some bicycles have transmissions that allow you to shift from one gear to another. First gear, with a low gear ratio, to get started easily and then once you get started you shift into a higher gear with a higher gear ratio, thus reaching a fast speed.
So the problem is, how do you balance the grabbing friction of the rear wheels and the torque of the gears? When you don't have a transmission to shift gears this becomes very important. How do you plan to set up your robot for the big race?
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
25 comments:
how i plan out is to make the robot go faster then the others because it could win... and i should puut little tiny wheeels for it couuls go fasster.....
i know how to do the rodot to go raster it is faster then every boby
mr geasland i think that the robotics week is cool and also not its cool cuz we get to mess with it ourselfs
iwould get it ready ading stuf to it anputing tires
i plan to try to make my robot go atleast not the slowest and before i do that i will test my robot first+
The way I plan to set up my robot is I plan to put the small terrain tires.
uhh by not putting slow tires on mii robot and putting the right tires on the robot. By trying my best to do whats right
to set my robot is to do is grab all the stuff you need to the robot to the big race.
This information is very true. I plan to plan my big race by having the fastest gear and use the fastest tires. I don't plan on winning the big race but I think it will be fun and challenging. i can't wait!
How i plan to do is by seeing which wheel would make the robot go faster.
I DO NOT KNOW BUT I WAS GONE MOST OF THE TIME SO I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
I WILL NEED SOME INSTRUCTION'S
FOR IT.
What I did for the big race was mad my weel bigger and made the gears bearly touch each other but that didnt work at all. I had a little from a friend, because he knows a lot about cars so he told me what to do with my robot
I came in 2nd place in the race. I could of been 1st but the robot turned left all the sudden.
well to get your robot redy for a big rac you hav to make your robot to fast,and put good weels.
The way i planed my robot was i put all the things that help it stay put when it fights because if i didnt make it to stay strong then i would of lost the fight an i also put some tires ont he front for when they come up to my robot they could just push them away and i wont lose the fight
In the race it was not so good because when we but it to race i didnt go strait and that what happen......
the race was cool it was coll becuse we gat 4 place we wold got in the finals but our batery was dead and we dint get to go to the finals but it was fun and it was cool but we having a nother race but we are going to charge it this time and we are going to win.
How I will plan out for the big race is try to set it up in the computer and change the size on the robot and mack it liter so it can go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try my best to macke my robot to go faster than any other robot in the class. I hope I will do better than anybody in any school I go to.
i will make it go faster than anyone elses.if i put the wheels on the back of the robot,it helps it 2 stop.working with with the robots was fun and creating a better robot was fun.
well what we have learned its about the robot that we have to repare the gear that we have to fallow the derections that the paper tell us to do
This week we hade a big race. My rodot was cinud sloo but in the sakent raon. I won but in three raon. I but are robot all most won all most nest time. I well be beter
gracias por toda su informacion se que lo hace por que todos aprendaramos sobre esas cosas.De los robots gracias por todo ami casi no me guste eso pero quisiera aprendre sobre los robots.
se que lo ase por que nos otros aprendieramos sobre esas cosas de los robots.
I tad that I was going to win because my robot was atv the front, but than my robot crasht into the table and thna I lost because of thee table and than my partner got mad and than at the other race I was at the front again I was almost going to win when it crash into the table again and than my partner got mad again, but I didn't care it was fun looking at the other cars win, crashing into the tables it was prtty fun even doe I lost, but will see if I win on on the sumo contest.
Post a Comment