Friday, February 5, 2010

Orthographic Projections

Many of you were struggling with the orthographic projection drawings we were doing this week.
This is because you were not paying attention when you read the directions. Ortho- is a prefix that means straight; graph is a root word that means writing; and -ic is a suffix that means 'process of" or 'belonging to'; which means that the name means process of writing(drawing) in straight lines. A projection is where you take the image and project or move the lines to a new surface; like map projections from a globe.
Think of it this way, the object you are drawing is in a glass box, like an aquarium with a glass top. First, you look at it from the front of the aquarium so that you only see the front of the object. Then you draw the lines that you see onto the glass of the aquarium. You repeat that with the right side of the aquarium and object. Then finally you do the top of the aquarium and object.
After drawing the front, right, and top of the object, you unfold the glass box that the front is in the third quadrant (think graphing with integers from math if you don't understand what i mean by quadrant), the top is in the 4th quadrant, and the right side is in the second quadrant. Most of you have been getting that part right.
But now comes the most important part!! The top and bottom of front and the top and bottom of the right side must be on the same straight line. So must the vertical lines of the front and top drawings! This is where I see people making mistakes over and over again. That and you forget to show them to me when you are finished.
How have you been doing on your drawings? What problems have you been having?

21 comments:

cv said...

I have been doing good on the drawings. I am having problems drawing straight lines though

sg said...

Only a couple problems on the drawings but i got it all worked out.

s.h. said...

not so well, but ok and trying to figure out were each drawing goes (what quadrant)

dh said...

i am doing good on my drawings

egc said...

well on my drawings i havent done so well it is kind of hard. i really dont know how to draw but i try my best. i have lots of travel drawing.

A.A.A said...

I dont know how to draw!And i confuses me!Laugh Out Loud

mms said...

i am having problems keeping focused but the thing with the cubes and spherees looks kinda fun cant wait till we're all focused on that!

vap said...

yes it is so much fun.

m.v said...

i've been doin good om my drawings

alondra said...

all i have to do is color and then
put them together?

y.e.s said...

I don't understand how to draw the shapes.

JSG said...

I'm have a little problems on the drawing I get confuse on it.

emfv said...

it was a little hard but everyone got trough hopefully. it nice we don't have to work on powerpoint prestions all the time.

btp said...

My drawings are doing well the only problem i have is the mesurments.

cr said...

This is hard to do cuase is hard to do drawings

dt012896 said...

i can draw but not good. i do not have any problems about my drawing.

jp said...

I have been doing my pictures.I have problems doing mesurments.

Aryanna chavez said...

yes!but im havinq a trouble on how to use the tools!:)

vi said...

this class is hard because i dont know how to do the drawings and measurments. this clas is fun tho.

JR7 said...

I have not been doing good on sketching or drawing. It is very hard for me to draw stuff from different angles or point of views.I love to be perfect, especially when it comes to drawing. But to be perfect I need a lot more time. Even though this class is kind of easy. I don't understand most of the stuff we do. And it is very hard for me to get on task. THe problem is that I sit by people who never do their work, always talk, and are just messing around. That gets me mad most of the time. And so does the fact that I am in the worst technology class ever!

sao said...

it was hard for me