Friday, April 30, 2010

Sanding, Sanding, Sanding

Hopefully, you have finished cutting out the rough shape for your car and filing the edges smooth. At least, that is the plan on the schedule. In reality I know that some of you are still working on this. Now comes the time that can be the most frustrating; sanding.
Sanding does two things for the car. First is improves the air flow around the car by removing bumps and dents. This allows the car to move through the air with less friction or drag, i.e. faster. Second is it preps the car for painting, because all those nicks, dings, and bumps really show up when you paint your car. The better you sand your car the better your car will look.
Since everyone will have the same "engine" powering their car, in our case compressed air. There are only a few things you can do to make it faster: lighten the car or reduce the friction/drag of the car. How is your car design going to help your car win the race?

23 comments:

*sh:)) said...

because it is smooth and i cut it i guess ?

dlh said...

its very small and i lost it...

sg said...

My car isn't actually half bad. It's getting smoother and softer. It's almost done. :)

ajs said...

it has a spoiler

mms said...

i have no idea if it will win... but mine is light weight and aero dynamic. i hope it wins!!! :)

ec said...

my car can help me win by making it better.

cv said...

I have know idea how it will help its just fun with the power tools, but I like where my car is at.

dtorres012896 said...

because it light and im going to put some heavy wheels so it wont flip..

jpa said...

It iz goin 2 go fast cuz it iz really light.......

sierra said...

well im trying to make it as smooth as i can so that it could go faster.

achavez said...

I'm havinq trouble with my car a lot!

astotler091396 said...

i made it light that way it can go fast

jorge said...

It's going to go faster than everybodys car.

btp said...

My car will go faster than most cars because I cut a lot of wood off of the door handle.

df said...

i learnd a lot of things

fat said...

it is going to make it really light but not to light because it will brake and thats how it is going to help.

cr said...

When i was finish with the car it broke so now im doing a little car my little car is almost finish.

jg said...

its gonna help.it gonna be smooth.

zjrl said...

at first it was hard butb im almost done

tmp said...

becuase i fallow derections and my car is going to win.

JR7 said...

it is very smooth and light which can cause speed. It was very hard to keep my car without any cracks or thick parts. I want to win and I know I will because I have put a lot of work into it. I spent so much time on it that I do not want to let anyone touch it.

vi said...

my kar will beet benjamins karr. it will go fast. thiz project is very very funz.

sws said...

i hate sandin but it makes it lighter and faster.